Saturday, February 14, 2009

In the Before (Recession) Time, the Long, Long Ago

First: Writers' conferences rock my world. At least this one.

I've already met amazing people - agents, editors, authors and those aspiring to author-dom alike. (My deepest thanks to any shiny, new SF writers friends who are checking out my blog!)

But I'm not here for a conference blow-by-blow, with one exception. My favorite moment thus far was when, with a sweep of his hand, Donald Maass cried, "I am a story god!"

I'm not sure what to be shocked by: his self-proclaimed divinity or my instant conversion to his religion.

My other source of bemusement this weekend derives from the Mark Hopkins amenities menu. This oh-so-lovely hotel evokes an era flush with cash unknown to our current dire economy. In the moments (hours) when I'm too nervous (exhausted) to practice my pitches yet another time, I enjoy pretending I am a business don of a bygone era (the 90s) who can make use of the array of services offered.

Oh......If I were a rich man, Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum I'd
1) Order the $62 breakfast
2)The $162.00 Executive Briefcase that bursts with truffles, chocolates, nuts, fruit and not one but two bottles of water
3)The $400 Champagne and Caviar (or if I want to be frugal, just the $105.00 Champagne and Strawberries, please)
4)The $450.00 Wine and Spirits Package with enough alcohol to fill my bathtub (and it's a nice bathtub, I've been luxuriating in bubbles every night. And that's where I'll be after I post this blog)

I apologize to any readers who take the finer things in life as a matter of course. I may be a dreamer, but I retain enough Midwestern/Scandinavian sense to make my father proud.

Not that I'd turn down that Executive Briefcase, should anyone be inclined to send one to my room.

4 comments:

  1. Hello from a shiny new SF Writers Conference friend! Wish I'd gone to that Donald Maas seminar. Maybe someday we'll be story gods too. How'd the pitches go?

    http://www.meganjust.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan!

    Thanks for visiting (and posting a comment). It was so great to meet you! I had great success with the pitches and am gearing up to send my work out. With patience and many supplications we will indeed be story gods one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from another shiny new SF Writer's Conference friend. :) That Donald Maass workshop was fantastic, wasn't it? That moment -- definitely one to remain etched on the amused portions of my brain for years to come. Good to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeannie,
    That workshop was beyond amazing (entertaining and incredibly helpful). Hope to see you at future conferences/writing events!

    ReplyDelete