Sunday, June 7, 2009

Daydreams and Ferry Trips

I'm blogging from the homestead, Ashland, Wisconsin - small town settled on the South Shore of Lake Superior.

I'm here because my bathroom is currently being demolished. A leak had developed beneath the floorboards and had it gone any further, I might have ended up like this:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S506173.shtml?cat=1

Fortunately, that crisis was averted, but I'm temporarily homeless but for the grace of my wonderful parents.

I dragged a fabulous colleague into the Northwoods with me and she's been an amazing companions. In the midst of academic hell this past year we found soul sistership; she dreams of creating films the way I dream of writing novels. Needless to say, we became fast friends.

Yesterday we boarded the ferry to Madeline Island and gazed out over the velvet blue expanse of Lake Superior. It was cold and spitting rain, but we still beamed and frolicked on the island.

We also plotted. And found a promise...a promise to ourselves and each other: To have that elusive site, the artist's retreat.

Someday we'll find an island or coastal hideaway in which to be our best creative selves. That making such a place a refuge amidst the obligations of life will be a priority and will help us realize our dreams.
Turning the eyes and mind heavenward to stretch toward dreams is both comforting and essential to the survival of an artist's soul. It helps to think of the ways we might best cultivate that side of ourselves, which the world so often smothers beneath harried tasks and mundane obligations.

What are your dreams of the future? What place or event would make your creativity take flight?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm going to have to do that ferry ride with my wife and kids. It looks beautiful. Maybe we will head out there this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,
    For me, it would be a deep forest. I just feel invigorated around trees, and no matter what's going on, I'll be smiling soon walking in the woods, so a retreat in a forest would be heaven!
    I love your pictures. You got me straight up with the Edward Gorey kid. I have spent many a hilarious hour reading his books. Please come by and visit my blog. Would love to have you aboard, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea,
    Excuse me but a house in a little town nestled on the south shore of Lake Superior? It sounds to me like you already have a heavenly retreat! I love Lake Superior. I'm thirty miles inland from Lake Huron waiting for rain because when I'm not writing I'm gardening.

    I always have trouble posting comments here so I'm combining two. About Twilight....I didn't hate it, it was just so...juvenile. I mean, all that dumb gazing in each other's eyes. I know it's YA but this was too much younger YA for me. Of course this was the movie, I didn't read the book. Enjoy your stay on the lake.

    ReplyDelete