Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Break Out Christmas Hit

For a few days now I've been forecasting Andrea's posts of holiday wacky goodness and now IT'S HERE!!

Today through Christmas Day there will be astonishing lights, sound, sight - all the holiday glitz you can stomach (maybe more if you've been drinking too much nog).

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine that the Sound of Music's "My Favorite Things" has been adopted as a holiday song that plays in the background of malls while you shop. But I've decided to jump on the bandwagon, dedicating these posts to my Favorite Holiday Things.

First up: Fave Holiday Songs

I love holiday soundtracks, but I have a strict rule about not listening to any seasonal songs until we're past Thanksgiving. Hearing "Silver Bells" any sooner than late November is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Music makes my world go round, so limiting the selection here is tough, to say the least. So I've decided to choose one song from Andrea's new: Key Categories of Holiday Music Bliss Out.

Category: Childhood (I listened to this one on my Grandma Opal's record player, over and over and over)





Category: Kitsch
(In case you're wondering 'sori' is sleigh, 'sube' is the sleigh's movement. Side note: I highly recommend all U900's ukelele carols)



Category: Sacred



Category: Muppe
t (This song always makes me tear up)



Category: NEW FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG


One of the best things about entering the writing world is meeting other writers who really see the world the way you do. Yes, everyone, be very, very afraid. Josh Berk and Kiersten White are geniuses. Soon they will rule the world and I'm hoping they will let me be in their Cabinet, or Inner Circle, or Secret Society - what have you. Here is their amazing contribution to the Holiday Songbook.



What holiday tunes are you spinning this December?

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure there's a spot for you in our inner circle. You can be Executive Vice President of Reptiles, Crocodile Division.

    (Also, tee hee, thanks for including us.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the last one! :D

    I'm a huge fan of We Three Kings and The First Noel, just because they're soft and I can hum them without making them sound horrible. Also, L'enfant au Tambour (The Little Drummer Boy). We went around the school in French class a few weeks ago and sang this and a few others. It's my favorite. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the list! Very fun, though I can only take the Chipmunks in very small doses. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may sound like a Grinch here, but I'm very much sick of Christmas music. It's only once per year that we have it, yet from the day after Thanksgiving, we are bombarded with it EVERYWHERE! I mean, I can't even go into a restroom in public without hearing 'Deck the Halls'... hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun list! My Christmas favorites are still the Amy Grant Collection and the Celine Dion holiday CD. :)

    ReplyDelete