Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Death and the Dandelion

Today - a tie-in to the spring flowers post with this caveat: apologies to any lawn warriors out there - I'm sorry, but I don't see the world the way Scott's turf builder worshipers do.

That said, when I was out walking & taking photographs of spring's bouquet the other afternoon, I also saw this.
One of my neighbors was systematically going through his yard and the green space on the curb, pulling out offending dandelions and tossing their carcasses on the pavement.

And it made my heart hurt.

Plants jerked from the soil, roots and all; left to die in heaps, like garbage.

I'm not a big fan of the designation "weeds" for many a wildflower. I understand that some people like uniformity and neatness.

But to me, dandelions are pure joy.
How can you not love that brilliant, sunshine yellow. And after the lemony brightness fades, you have a bloom full of wishes waiting to happen.
Where is the bad?

Yet dandelions are cast offs. They are yanked from the earth and scorned. I don't like it. I choose to cherish dandelions no matter how often they are cursed by lawn tyrants. Grass isn't natural. Dandelions are.

One of my favorite snippets of wisdom comes from Thich Nhat Hahn:

I have lost my smile, but don't worry.
The dandelion has it.

Somehow I believe the world would be a better place if we all could keep this thought in mind.

13 comments:

  1. YES YES YES!!
    You know how partial I am to the dandelion. People spray posion around their homes to kill the dandelion without a thought to what else they're killing. Lawn "care" companies . . . the bane of the Earth. I would sooner shoot myself than ever give them a penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dandelions. They were my favorite flower as a kid and always seeing them brings me back to those simpler times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Dandelions are made of much win. I think they deserve more love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them! =) Even though the little white umbrellas dancing in the wind make me sneeze. *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at all the other dandelion fans!! :) One of my students came into class yesterday wearing a dandelion crown and it made me very, very happy. I used to make a lot of dandelion bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and my daughter would get along fabulously. I hate to admit that I'm not a dandelion lover. They ruin my lawn. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I'm one for nature and beauty, but if it's in my yard, it better be organized beauty LOL. I understand it contradicts the 'wild' in wildflower, but dang it, if I can't control my yard, what can I?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You would just LOVE my yard. It's a sea of yellow. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. On my daily walk with my dog yesterday, I passed by the fields close to my house and had to think of this post, because it's a SEA of dandelions. Considering their name translates to lion's tooth, I think they should be feared more. *g*

    Here is a picture:

    http://i43.tinypic.com/34xrm1e.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the picture! And I love the name history :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love dandelions too... until the kids bring them inside and the pollen kills me. Still, a field of dandelions waiting to turn into wishes... is as close to tangible happiness as it gets.

    ReplyDelete