Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm Melting, I'm Melting!

While I enjoy sunshine, I wasn't built for heatwaves. My skin burns to a lovely tomato red in less than 60 seconds on a hot day. We're in the middle of a doozy right now. A week in the mid to high 90s with heat indexes well over 100 degrees.

This sort of weather renders me listless and spacey. I'm working on a super sekrit Nightshade-related project right now, which I will soon be able to share with you, and I keep forgetting to attach documents or links to emails and correspondence because the heat renders my brain power to about 60% of it's normal function.

I consider fall my favorite season with spring running a close second. Dealing with this extreme heat, and knowing that in six months I'll be blogging about extreme cold (though I prefer the latter), I realize I'm something of a Goldilocks when it comes to weather.

But I swear I'm not just being fussy - I simply don't function right in this heat; it's like my body and mind are on strike, demanding a week at the lake instead of life as usual. The only upside is that hot days brew up awesome thunderstorms on some nights.

How's summer working out for you? And do you have no-fail ways to beat the heat? I'm relying on popsicles and iced coffee.

4 comments:

  1. My husband gives me a hard time for this all the time because I am not built for heat! I literally almost wither away because I just can't take it. I burn so easily and I am that person at the beach with the umbrella up, hat on my head and SPF 1,000! I am glad that I am not alone, I am counting down until fall comes and in the mean time I am coping with lots of indoor activities and ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that song. Always reminds me of Karate Kid:) In upstate NY we've had the hottest summer in a long time. I'm so sick of the heat and humidity. Plus, my husband and I clean houses all day and some aren't air conditioned. Then we have to come home to our un-airconditioned house:( I'm SO ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you use gmail, it gives you a reminder to attach documents to your e-mail. It is the most awesome feature since I am terrible at it! ;-)

    I understand being tired with the heat. I live over in Fargo and it isn't much better here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My skin is so pale (and ONLY burns), that it is a job keeping it protected during the summer. Where I live it's typically 90 or above (it was 105 yesterday, not including the heat index) from the end of June sometimes all the way into September, so I carry a jacket everywhere with me to block my skin in case I have to be out in the sun unanticipated for more than 5 minutes, and when I know I'm going to be out for more than a few minutes, I have to wear SPF 50.

    ReplyDelete