Monday, January 24, 2011

Back To School

First day of the spring semester has arrived, though given that this past week we've been living in sub-zero weather it hardly feels right to call it the spring semester.

As much as scheduling can get hairy when I'm doing two full-time jobs (writing and teaching), I'm looking forward to seeing my colleagues and students. Writing is a solitary endeavor, and as much as I'm an introvert who prefers being alone, it can be too easy to forget about the rest of the world. Teaching keeps me connected to people and ideas and for that I'm deeply grateful. While it's wonderful to be lost in a world of my own creation, it's also vital to remember that the stories are written to invite others in and share the journey.

Here's a song to get the semester started off right:

12 comments:

  1. such an up beat song I love the music video, already been back to school for nearly a month and gladly it has started to warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the songs you pick. You must be a Current fan like I am. We may have sub zero temps in Minnesnowta but at least we have phenom music. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Rudi :)

    At Looksie - I ADORE the Current, it's constantly on at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing is lonely. But I agree with you about teaching. Teaching also forces us to look at ourselves and really see how much we know about what we're teaching. It makes us better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a teacher and a writer, too. (and a bit of an introvert as well.) Were it not for the teaching, I'd probably be a hermit, which would be so lame.

    Happy Semester!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate ... I think teaching's the only thing that keeps me from pulling a Salinger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, awesome blog I love it! Im a new follower :). feel free to stop by my blog at www.sabaawesome.blogspot.com. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is so adorable! I love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter watched this little vid three times. So cute!

    ReplyDelete